View Single Post
Old 11-13-2020, 12:04 AM   #36 (permalink)
Stubby79
Master EcoModder

Firefly EV - '98 Pontiac Firefly EV
90 day: 107.65 mpg (US)

Little Boy Blue - '05 Toyota Echo
90 day: 33.35 mpg (US)

BlueZ - '19 Nissan 370Z Sport
90 day: 17.19 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayden55 View Post
Gotcha.

Just Super tech Full Synthetic.
I'd suggest looking into a "High-Milage" oil, to see if the additives help any. It's kept a number of my cars/engines happy over the years.

That includes one that previously kept wearing out or contaminating the oil(fuel perhaps?) so that it got thinner and wound up burning it at a similar rate as yours. It would always come out thin and black at oil changes; that stopped right away with HM oil. Engines also run quieter on it.

YMMV. And you'll want to do your own research to make sure the added metal(s) - zink was it? - aren't "known" to damage your particular emissions equipment. Which means sifting through a lot of opinions and deciding for yourself if it is worth trying or not.

HM oil probably has similar stuff in it as the engine restore you tried. I used one of those to keep an aged engine happy - smooth and quiet (valve train noise mainly) - but would have to put another one in ever 1000 miles or so. The "need" to used it went away with HM oil.

Besides that...since that could all be in my imagination, and some people won't touch that snake oil, has anyone on the Prius forums had any success soaking their cylinders down with ATF? The idea being it will clean carbon off and free up stuck piston rings. It was one of the band-aids the techs I worked with used to breathe some life in to abused or aged engines.
The Following User Says Thank You to Stubby79 For This Useful Post:
EcoCivic (11-13-2020)