View Single Post
Old 11-13-2020, 09:18 AM   #37 (permalink)
hayden55
Master EcoModder

Sport Utility Prius - '10 Toyota Prius II
90 day: 52.98 mpg (US)

300k Sequoia 4WD - '01 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4wd
90 day: 20.19 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubby79 View Post
I'd suggest looking into a "High-Milage" oil, to see if the additives help any. It's kept a number of my cars/engines happy over the years.

That includes one that previously kept wearing out or contaminating the oil(fuel perhaps?) so that it got thinner and wound up burning it at a similar rate as yours. It would always come out thin and black at oil changes; that stopped right away with HM oil. Engines also run quieter on it.

YMMV. And you'll want to do your own research to make sure the added metal(s) - zink was it? - aren't "known" to damage your particular emissions equipment. Which means sifting through a lot of opinions and deciding for yourself if it is worth trying or not.

HM oil probably has similar stuff in it as the engine restore you tried. I used one of those to keep an aged engine happy - smooth and quiet (valve train noise mainly) - but would have to put another one in ever 1000 miles or so. The "need" to used it went away with HM oil.

Besides that...since that could all be in my imagination, and some people won't touch that snake oil, has anyone on the Prius forums had any success soaking their cylinders down with ATF? The idea being it will clean carbon off and free up stuck piston rings. It was one of the band-aids the techs I worked with used to breathe some life in to abused or aged engines.
For the most part I've seen zero success besides using a catch can on the Prius Forums. Toyota used low friction piston rings on the 4 cylinder engines from like 08-12 on the models introduced in that time and they were oil burners after about 50k miles. I just wanted to try comp restore as I've seen it help a lot on Chevys with their LQ/LS blow by issues and not a single person mentioned trying it on the Prius forums. 2012+ they fixed the issue but they pretty much ignore you unless you're engine is burning a quart like every 100 miles or whatever the max spec is. Car runs just fine with no loss of power but the pcv squirts oil like a fresh well in Texas.
By american standards burning a quart every 3k is about in line with all american vehicles up to about 2005. lol

Going to attempt to carry this oil change out to 6-7k, then drain the oil and start throwing on the new fancy oil catch can that returns the oil blow by to the sump. Just kinda waiting on moving into the new house so I have a garage to do it in with plenty of space.