View Single Post
Old 11-14-2020, 12:31 PM   #29 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
Putting the left overs in a pile and burning them is a solution. Leaving it clearly creates a problem.
Does Maine mandate the left-overs be collected in a pile and burned? I ask because that increases cost and companies hate to spend a penny more than necessary.

I have seen piles in Oregon and Washington but they tend to be on smaller plots not the huge plantations. I've driven past some of them for years because they never actually get burned.

I suspect Maine has weather for conducive to burning. Here in Oregon our distinctive wet / dry season means we are generally under a burn ban by May that continues into October. Different climate - different solutions.

Of course even if you could gather up all the debris and burn it that is incredible wasteful. Sweden has a huge forestry industry and since the 70's has had a huge push to use that biomass. They gather it and turn it into ethanol or burn it in power plants. 1/3 of their energy comes from biofuels and 90% of that is forestry waste.

At the end of the day there is nothing you can do to get around the risk of having closely planted trees all the same size. The goals of industrial timber production (maximizing yield per acre) and what is needed for fire resilience (forests with wildly spaced trees) are mutually exclusive.
The Following User Says Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
freebeard (11-14-2020)