View Single Post
Old 11-14-2020, 03:47 PM   #17 (permalink)
JulianEdgar
Banned

Thanked 1,605 Times in 1,136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarcus View Post
I would pick "that one" because it is the one most people on here use. Also based on your comments on what you believe it is supposed to represent it would be the more accurate one to use. (Not that I believe the claims asserted of what "the template" means.) I realize the main basis of your video is that "the template" doesn't fit the cars you posted, thus it would be counterproductive should the template start fitting several of them closely.
I am not sure how you reached that conclusion. The 'main basis' of the video is that the template is used here in the following ways (the text is straight from the slide in the video):

It is claimed to allow you to:

- Show where there is separated and attached flow on existing cars
- Guide the shape of rear extensions
- Show how rear spoilers on sedans should be positioned and shaped
- Allow the assessment of the ‘aerodynamic purity’ of cars

All these purported uses are simply rubbish!

Quote:

I have built and tested several "angled extensions" on several vehicles, the results are already documented on this site. Results logged over many thousands of miles. Does this qualify as the most rudimentary testing?
Yes, sure.

Quote:
I have several "basic shapes" saved that I use in my planning. Tools in a toolbox for design. I do not have the time or computing/testing resources to develop original aero designs from scratch. I am not hung up on proving any of them right or wrong. I have repeatedly used the AST-II and/or the AST top view and the resulting projects hit my projections for drag change reasonably closely and made the handling changes I desired. Thus I will continue using them.
Sure - but that is completely different from pretending that the template shape can be used for any of the purposes listed above. What you have said is more along the lines of "I fitted 150lb springs front and back and I am happy with the results". Great - but that doesn't mean they gave you the best results, or that other people fitting the same spring rates to their cars will get good results.