View Single Post
Old 11-16-2020, 11:38 AM   #56 (permalink)
AeroMcAeroFace
Long time lurker

Want low drag? Don't follow a template.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vekke View Post
I did not see any results showing otherwise in your video.
Sure those new cars have low drag figures, but is it due to to the roof taper or whole car being shaped in the windtunnel to match manufacturers idea of that current car model is and looks or is it modeled to have the lowest drag coefficient?
But isn't that his point entirely? That low drag can be achieved without the/a template?

It is irrelevant whether it was for styling or drag, it achieves low drag, and doesn't follow the template.

"I have understood there can be attached flow with even steeper curves, but the the lowest drag is achieved if you follow the template." where is the evidence for this claim?

The template, I am pretty sure, without wheels, theoretically has a drag coefficient of 0.09.

Many solar cars with wheels, that are real, have drag coefficients around and lower than 0.09. But also none, of the many papers I have read about solar car design, say "we used an arbitrary template as the starting point".

I don't see what is relevant about being a mechanical engineer, mechanical engineering and aerodynamics are completely different things.

(I am not saying the template is useless, but it has many claims, and I have seen contrary evidence elsewhere in scientific research papers (not just in Julian's videos))

Last edited by AeroMcAeroFace; 11-16-2020 at 11:42 AM.. Reason: Added the last bit in brackets

The Following User Says Thank You to AeroMcAeroFace For This Useful Post:
aerohead (11-18-2020)