View Single Post
Old 11-16-2020, 12:09 PM   #58 (permalink)
Vekke
Mechanical engineer

Siitin - '98 Seat Cordoba Vario
90 day: 58.56 mpg (US)

VW Lupo 3L --> 2L - '00 VolksWagen Lupo 3L
Diesel
90 day: 104.94 mpg (US)

A8 luxury fuel sipper - '97 Audi A8 1.2 TDI 6 speed manual
90 day: 64.64 mpg (US)

Audi A4B6 Avant Niistäjä - '02 Audi A4b6 1.9tdi 96kW 3L
90 day: 54.57 mpg (US)

Tourekki - '04 VW Touareg 2.5TDI R5 6 speed manual
90 day: 32.98 mpg (US)

A2 1.4TDI - '03 Audi A2 1.4 TDI
90 day: 45.68 mpg (US)

A2 1.4 LPG - '02 Audi A2 1.4 (75hp)
90 day: 24.67 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroMcAeroFace View Post
But isn't that his point entirely? That low drag can be achieved without the/a template?

It is irrelevant whether it was for styling or drag, it achieves low drag, and doesn't follow the template.

"I have understood there can be attached flow with even steeper curves, but the the lowest drag is achieved if you follow the template." where is the evidence for this claim?
Its about what claims Julian has made about the template. not the drag coeffiecient figures of any cars.

First you need to read all the 19 pages of that aerotemplate topic and after that all the other topics that are related to using that I can say there are many. Details are in this forum for those questions, because I have learnt them from here. That information is not put to one page, but its spead here and there on the forum.

You can reach low aerodynamic drag coefficients by not using the template I am not saying that is not true. What I am saying that template leads to lowest drag coefficient. 0,22 is not a real low drag car. Its just a low drag production car which has certain limitations to designs it can use and what manufacturers want to use in their products.

I remember testing my first kammback in my Seat cordoba TDI 2008 with tuft testing. I think the final angle where I left it was around 17 degrees and tufts were attached with that angle. Sure it was better than no spoiler at all, but without any wind tunnel or CFD simulation softwares available. Then was no templates to be used just huchos book knowledge on these kammback angles and lengths.

If someone clearly says current template is so wrong he should have real data to back those claims otherwise its just noise in the water and clearly against the forum rules.

I have also looked these super aerodynamic concept and production cars and noticed they dont meet the template, but that does not prove nothing unless you have actual data of the cars development process how and why have they used the shapes they have used.

If no more real data is shared I still recommend using the template in your projects in correct way, unless you have the windtunnel or cfd simulations loops to prove your data.

The basic shapes is possibly to be simulated in basic solidoworks even in 1D and I believe results should be pretty accurate. So there is no sense to make any other claims which you cannot back up.

Of course you can say what you have found out, but with your own testing, but then you dont have any need to say bad things about other people who have studied and shared their knowledge here for years for free for others. and other is just trying to sell his books.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/vesatiainen/

Vesa Tiainen innovation engineer and automotive enthusiast

The Following User Says Thank You to Vekke For This Useful Post:
ME_Andy (11-16-2020)