View Single Post
Old 11-16-2020, 06:52 PM   #1145 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,069 Times in 1,399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
I read an interesting essay a few years ago along the lines of: "You have to be rich to drive a beater", based on that idea.

EG: people who have the kind of jobs (or bosses) that would see them canned for showing up late or missing a shift (eg. due to a breakdown) really can't afford to drive a $750 Miata.

Folks in that situation stereotypically keep sales of cheap new cars like the Mitsubishi Mirage going (...and the Spark, and the Versa before that car went upmarket with the latest redesign). Long loan terms (for super low monthly payments) and a generous warranty with roadside assistance prevent nasty surprises (and your nasty boss) from messing with your life.

Here it is: https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/20...n-a-cheap-car/
That article sums it up pretty well.

I fell for the "Why buy a boring car when you can buy a cool car" logic on my first car out of college. I bought a 30 year old Porsche for $6,000 instead of something like a Civic. That car left me stranded a few times, wouldn't start some mornings, and the repairs were more than our limited budget could handle. Of course I was privileged in the fact that I had wife with a new truck and a motorcycle as back-up. Plus a garage full of tools.