View Single Post
Old 11-18-2020, 12:13 PM   #17 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keller View Post

I'm doing a bus build and I am raising the roof about 22"

Now the first image is what most people ha e been going to here lately. And leaving the back a strait up lift. I'm thinking I like the second strait up blunt raise for the front and will slope and transition the rear over my bed room. Or would sloping both front and rear be beneficial?

As I take it the rear would be much more important than the front. A blunt raise would alow my to mount a big screen TV above the driver head. But if its beneficial I could slope the front as well and live with a small screen.

Thoughts?
* With no leading edge radii a bus will be Cd 0.88.
* With leading edge radii equal to 5% of the square-root of the frontal area, the drag will be Cd 0.36.
* With the 'Stromform' front, Cd 0.34. And the most difficult and expensive build.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
* Test data exist for buses with 5-degree boat-tailing, at top, sides, and bottom. The further back, the lower the drag. Diminishing returns at some length.
* If 'soft' edges are incorporated into the tail, you can kill off any potential vortex drag.
* If boat-tailing is done as an 'add-on', the legal limit is 60-inches of added length.