View Single Post
Old 11-25-2020, 11:02 AM   #116 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
extraordinary

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianEdgar View Post
Isn't it extraordinary, then, that none of the professional aerodynamicist reviewers of my book agree with you?

I could believe five world-leading aerodynamicists - or I could believe Aerohead. It's not a hard decision.
Some things to consider:
* none of your experts may have ever been tasked with designing for really low drag. The automakers associated with your consultants have never produced a low-drag vehicle, excepting Volkswagen, of which Buchheim's 1981 VW 'Flow' body long-tail was, in part, an inspiration for the 'template.
* If you include Hucho in your mix of five, things become extremely problematic, as the 'template' is a derivation of Hucho's default checklist for future low-drag vehicle specifications, going as low as Cd 0.07.
* According to Hucho, something very much like the 'template' would be the only path one could take.
* Any of your consultants who've read Hucho's text would be familiar with the context of the 'template.'
* Any of the aeronautical engineers would realize that the progenitor of the 'template' has the lowest drag known for 3-D flow, at supercritical Reynolds number.
* And they'd also know that the half-body derived from same, would have the lowest drag as well.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All that said, there are considerations that would preclude the use of the 'template', however, those have nothing to do with aerodynamics. As has been clearly stated by Hucho and others.