View Single Post
Old 11-26-2020, 05:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
M_a_t_t
マット

The Van - '95 Chevy Astro Cl V8 Swapped
Team Chevy
90 day: 7.84 mpg (US)

The new bike - '17 Kawasaki Versys X 300 abs
Motorcycle
90 day: 71.94 mpg (US)

The Mercury - '95 Mercury Tracer Trio
Team Ford
90 day: 34.35 mpg (US)

Toyota - '22 Toyota Corolla Hatchback
90 day: 40.11 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianEdgar View Post
I just skimmed the video .....
Would the basic idea not transfer to the vortexes made by a road car? Is it because there is (I'm assuming) a lower difference in pressures of the road car than the wings on the F1? Which probably means the effect on the F1 is much greater than a road car and so isn't high on the fix-it list on road car aero.

Care to share (briefly or detailed) those experiments? My first thought when posting was maybe for the a pillar, a wing tip placed in front of the windshield to try and lower the effects of the a-pillar vortex as it seemed easier to alter.

Do you think your failure with the rod and tuft could be attributed to the less-uniform wind on the road, the scale of the car (vs a model), or just a difference in execution?

Will be interested in the results.

I have realized that when talking mods you (you, in general, not you) tend to think of how they would apply to your own car, so of course I am thinking of the Mercury which seems to be a rather out dated shape.

I will have to add that to the list. Doesn't seem to be too costly either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Thanks (today) for the video. The front end part was interesting; the active wing, not so much....
My 1/8" rod was a coat hanger (good luck getting metal coat hangers though)

I still think about the smoke generator as I think it would be easy(er) to see some of the effects. The only attempted reference I have though is Mr. Edgar. I feel like I would need a large volume of smoke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianEdgar View Post
Not on an aluminum car!
Not everyone has that luxury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vman455 View Post
I just ordered this edition, nice to hear it has more information on vortices.

Scibor-Rylski makes an interesting assertion that I hadn't read anywhere else: deliberately introducing a counter-rotating vortex to reduce the strength of already-present vortices can reduce the vortex-induced lift by simple vector superposition (summing vector components of the velocity in each axis reduces or cancels the velocity along them, in other words), but drag increases according to the summed scalar strength (no cancellation) of each vortex. I don't know if that's true or not, but it may be possible to find out on the road if you can design a device to induce rotation outward (counterclockwise looking from the rear of the car) and then throttle-stop test.

I've wondered if this shape, in fact, is designed to do just that and reduce rear lift:
Do you mean Scibor-Rylski's Road Vehicle Aerodynamics? I have started to try to go through this book so if you've got a page I might jump ahead to check it out.

That is an interesting shape and I can see how you can come to that conclusion.
1981 Kawasaki KZ650 CSR
1983 Kawasaki KZ1100-A3
1986 Nissan 300zx Turbo 5 spd
1995 Chevy Astro RWD (current project)
1995 Mercury Tracer
2017 Kawasaki VersysX 300
2022 Corolla Hatchback 6MT

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6s...LulDUQ8HMj5VKA