View Single Post
Old 11-26-2020, 07:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
Vman455

Pope Pious the Prius - '13 Toyota Prius Two
Team Toyota
SUV
90 day: 51.62 mpg (US)

Tycho the Truck - '91 Toyota Pickup DLX 4WD
90 day: 22.22 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,797 Times in 937 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianEdgar View Post
Remember also that the direction of rotating vortices depends on the overall lift/downforce of the body. That is, when viewed from behind, bodies that develop lift have clockwise vortices on left, and anticlockwise on right, whereas downforce bodies have vortices that rotate in the opposite directions.
Right you are--I should have specified, I was thinking of a fastback or notchback (or somewhere between the two, like the Civic I posted) developing a clockwise-rotating vortex on the driver's side (US)/counterclockwise on the passenger side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_a_t_t View Post
Do you mean Scibor-Rylski's Road Vehicle Aerodynamics? I have started to try to go through this book so if you've got a page I might jump ahead to check it out.
In the 2nd edition (1984), pp. 56-62, with some more discussion in the next section on fastbacks pp. 62-65.

The copy I bought turned out to be a library copy from City University, where Scibor-Rylski taught, with 14 due dates spanning 1996-2005. That makes me wonder who read through this particular copy before I got it!