View Single Post
Old 12-01-2020, 06:47 PM   #158 (permalink)
aardvarcus
Master EcoModder

Deep Blue - '94 GMC Suburban K2500 SLE
90 day: 23.75 mpg (US)

Griffin (T4R) - '99 Toyota 4Runner SR5
90 day: 25.43 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroMcAeroFace View Post
So there are different templates, and the AST-II is the one to use? Why have people been encouraged to use a different one for the past 10 years?

Does this solve the PRIUS debate? Does that fit the different template? If it does then maybe the template is usable, but on the centreline where flow is front to back, not necessarily elsewhere.
Yes there are different "templates" (diagrams) from different sources. Side views, top views, front views.

I can not tell you that the AST-II is the one for you to use, or whether you should be using a diagram at all. But if you want to know which diagram you might find that is an exact match for the rear curvature of the Honda Insight, VW XL1, Several Generations of Toyota Prius, 7th gen Celica, etcetera then I would suggest you use the AST-II. Or if you hate "diagrams" just use a side view photo of any one of those (or many other) cars that share the exact same rear curvature as a function of height.

I am not sure who on this site over the past decade has been encouraging the use of the AST-I over the AST-II. I have been on this site about that long, and have not seen any pressure to use the older version. The OP of this thread is just about the only one I know doing overlays using the old version.

What generation of Prius is in question? I have fit the AST-II diagram to several generations of the Toyota Prius, some of them are exact matches.

Usable for what? If you are choosing to attempt to copy one or more 2d diagrams into a 3d shaped part, obviously there are some details to be worked out. As freebeard has mentioned, most of us are not in hemisphere shaped vehicles. Most users of this site that have used the tools to actually build things seem to have figured those sorts of things out.

The Following User Says Thank You to aardvarcus For This Useful Post:
aerohead (12-02-2020)