View Single Post
Old 12-01-2020, 07:00 PM   #159 (permalink)
JulianEdgar
Banned

Thanked 1,605 Times in 1,136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarcus View Post
I am not sure who on this site over the past decade has been encouraging the use of the AST-I over the AST-II. I have been on this site about that long, and have not seen any pressure to use the older version. The OP of this thread is just about the only one I know doing overlays using the old version.
Huh? I am using the template nominated in the tools section of the site, the one I have seen used numerous times when purporting to do each of the following (absurd) uses:

- Show where there is separated and attached flow on existing cars
- Guide the shape of rear extensions
- Show how rear spoilers on sedans should be positioned and shaped
- Allow the assessment of the ‘aerodynamic purity’ of cars)

If you want to pick a different template - fine, but it's an equally absurd approach.

I don't know how often it has to be stated, but 'low drag shapes' (let alone any sort of template) are given basically zero coverage in any current textbook on car aero. And it's not because they've forgotten to include it.

So you can either decide that this site has come up with an extraordinary breakthrough in car aerodynamics.... or this site is on the wrong track. I am afraid in any car engineering debates, I always back the professionals over amateurs - and professionals certainly don't use any type of aerodynamic template.

Last edited by JulianEdgar; 12-01-2020 at 07:50 PM..

The Following User Says Thank You to JulianEdgar For This Useful Post:
aerohead (12-02-2020)