View Single Post
Old 12-01-2020, 07:58 PM   #160 (permalink)
aardvarcus
Master EcoModder

Deep Blue - '94 GMC Suburban K2500 SLE
90 day: 23.75 mpg (US)

Griffin (T4R) - '99 Toyota 4Runner SR5
90 day: 25.43 mpg (US)
Julian,

Did I comment on your diagram use incorrectly? You are using the AST-I for all your overlays, are you not? In your videos and posts and such?

I really don't see that many users using that diagram (AST-I not II) on this site for those purposes.

Using a diagram at all may be absurd, but in terms of relative absurdity I would consider using a diagram that exactly matches the XL1, Prius, Insight, etcetera to be less absurd than applying a diagram intended for a use on a vehicle that is in cross section a hemisphere. Once again, I don't have any hemispheres parked outside.

If the notion of someone who does not have development resources mimicking the rear curvature as a function of height of some of the most respected low drag vehicles is absurd, then yes please count me among the absurd. I saw a really good quote on this the other day, it said "This is one occasion when copying one of the generic low-drag shapes will probably get you 90 per cent there."

The professionals may not use a diagram, but it is funny how so many of their "low drag" designs end up with almost exactly the same rear curvature as a function of height.

I don't think it is a groundbreaking revelation to make a higher drag vehicle (e.g. Toyota Tacoma) to have a rear curvature as a function of height that matches a respected lower drag design (e.g. Toyota Prius). But I also don't think that measured long term tank to tank 10% better MPG is the "wrong track." Perhaps it is a "non-ideal track", and there is perhaps a percent or so left on the table. If I was a professional, with all the professional modeling resources at my fingertips I could know for sure about that percent.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aardvarcus For This Useful Post:
aerohead (12-02-2020), bobo333 (12-24-2020), COcyclist (12-02-2020)