View Single Post
Old 12-02-2020, 11:15 PM   #54 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 30.54 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Renting out rooms is different. I often didn't have my own bathroom.

I always think that my loft bed needs more diagonal bracing to make it stable, but since the legs are bowing I have planned on screwing boards at 90°. I had not thought that would provide much stability, just strength, but there must be at least some flex where I extended each corner, especially since, despite my best efforts, there is a gap. I wanted to put 2x6es or even 2x8s, but that seemed like it would get on the way on the closest corner to the door.

Then I thought about those 5" extensions again. A 2x4 might be adequate, but it would be on the wrong side of the overhang. A 2x6 would bridge the gap, but I don't know how much good half an inch or less would do.

If I put in 2x8s there would be 2.5" of overhang, which should be plenty.

However, those extensions aren't in the front right, closest to the door, they are in the front left, next to the bookcase, and the back right, against the wall.

If I screwed a 2x4 into the front corner I could screw a 2x6 in front of it and to the side of the existing leg.

That should provide far more strength than I would ever need.

2x8s should reduce flex further because, instead of each leg being just 2x4s screwed into the ends, I would have 2x8s screwed into the front and back, and those should flex far less.

Finally, bigger feet should also provide more stability.