View Single Post
Old 12-04-2020, 03:27 PM   #230 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,238 Times in 4,664 Posts
best

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroMcAeroFace View Post
However, Person B is cynical rather than sceptical. If Person A had showed how much heat the sun provides per square metre, showed the suns path through the sky in winter and then in summer, and also said, "it worked for me and I followed these rules, however that doesn't mean it will work for you" then that is fine.

In the UK we have houses like that, but because the sun is so low in the summer the overhangs need to be huge and are often not big enough and prolonged heat and sun has heated the houses to unbearable levels. Just because your rule of thumb works on your latitude, doesn't mean it works everywhere else.

No-one is saying following a template won't work, we are saying it is not always the best.
I don't recall ever making such a claim. 'Best' is not quantifiable. Just like 'Ultimate.' If BMW's were the 'ultimate driving machine', no one would ever part with them. There'd be know pre-owned cars for sale.
Hucho laid out what was essentially a recipe for really low drag. Hucho had used the terms 'optimum' and 'ideal' interchangeably in his 2nd-Edition.
I compiled a checklist of the criteria, and through a process of elimination the 'template' emerged.
The German Government was impressed enough with Hucho's 'template' that they had it on display in the national museum in Munich, in 1997 when I was there. I'd been impressed with it ever since I first I saw it in 1990.