View Single Post
Old 12-08-2020, 04:01 AM   #44 (permalink)
Stubby79
Master EcoModder

Firefly EV - '98 Pontiac Firefly EV
90 day: 107.65 mpg (US)

Little Boy Blue - '05 Toyota Echo
90 day: 33.35 mpg (US)

BlueZ - '19 Nissan 370Z Sport
90 day: 17.19 mpg (US)
I've watched the videos with interest. My kind of infotainment.

IMHO, too small of an engine is as bad as too big, when it comes to fuel efficiency. A vehicle - like a Chevy Tracker - would get better gas mileage with a big(er) 4-cylinder engine, than it would with it's undersized 1.6L; it has to work too hard all the time to ever be efficient.

It will be little different with the insight. The mid 50's MPGs you recorded would have been higher with the original 1.0L engine. I'd hope/expect the 420cc to be more efficient, at least at the same speeds.

Besides that...it's going to be a difficult fight to equal the original engine. Besides the various "tricks" designed in to the engine to maximize fuel economy, there are a few basic/major losses using these simple, single-cylinder engines. No EFI. No liquid cooling, meaning lower compression ratio. And the CVT is maybe 80% efficient.

Still, I expect the 420 will do better than the 212, and make it more useable/street friendly.

I would love to be shown I'm wrong on either point, so keep up the good work and entertaining videos!