View Single Post
Old 12-09-2020, 04:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,207 Times in 4,640 Posts
SAE

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianEdgar View Post
Just to be clear, there is no mention whatsoever in the SAE paper about a template, standardised shape, etc. There isn't in any SAE paper that I have ever seen on the aerodynamic development of a road car.

And, as is so common with what Aerohead writes here, he correctly quotes, then misquotes, makes up stuff, and applies his own interpretations to what was actually written. Some examples:
  • in the SAE paper (and my book) the spoiler is described as having one position, not two.
  • the way the spoiler works, as described in the SAE paper, is substantially different to Aerohead's theory
  • the change in drag is not related to a change in wake pressure in the SAE paper (or my book)

So most of the post is just Aerohead fitting a car to his theory. To a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Note: The description of the Audi notchback / hatchback / fastback models was included in my book in the context of the required different rear diffusers for each body shape, so my description of the fastback spoiler was brief. Aerohead hasn't read the SAE paper.
Specific mention or not of the 'template' in a SAE Paper does not detract from it's efficacy in predicting certain aerodynamic phenomena.
We know it from the work of Walter E. Lay, at Michigan University in 1933.
We know it from the work of Carl Breer, at Chrysler, in 1934.
We know it from the work of Kamm and Fachsenfeld at the FKFS, between 1935 and 1939.
We know it from the work of Elliott G. Reid, at Stanford University, in 1935.
We know it from Sighard Horner's text of 1951.

We know it from the work of R.G.S. White, at MIRA in 1969.
We know it from the work of W.A. Mair, in 1969.
We know it from Robert Cumberford's work in 1974.
We know it from the work of Dr. Hans Leibold, at Daimler-Benz/ Mecedes-Benz, in 1978.
We know it from the work of NASA, and their 'Project Shoebox,' 1980.
We know it from NASA's Space Shuttle research at Edward's Air Force Base, California, 1980.
I know it from my CRX HF, USFRA LSR in 1990,at Bonneville.
We know it from General Motors' Aero 2000 and Aero 2002, of 1983.
We know it from the work of General Motors' Oldsmobile Division, and their OLDS Aerotech, 1987 closed-course LSR at Ft. Stockton, Texas
We know it from Wolf Heinrich Hucho's text of 1987.
We know it from Texas Tech University's research of 1988.
My Chrysler Proving Grounds, CRX HF coast-down record, 1991.
We know it from General Motors/ EV1 LSR, 1993.
We know it from Texas Tech University's 'Tailwind Project' of 1995.
My 'Spirit of EcoModder.com' LSR at Bonneville, 2012.
We know it from Mercedes-Benz' 2016 IAA.
'Templates' are all around, and have been for 87-years.
Vekke (12-10-2020)