View Single Post
Old 12-09-2020, 05:50 PM   #16 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,207 Times in 4,640 Posts
find

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianEdgar View Post
But why stop at aerodynamics?

You can take a theory (often with a historical base), find cars that match the theory and, ipso facto, prove the theory 'true'.

We could take just this approach with optimal engine air/fuel ratios, engine ignition timing, suspension natural frequency, gearbox ratios - and so on.

And in every case, despite finding cars that apparently match our theory, our theory would likely be quite incorrect.

(Of course, you see this done all the time on car web discussion groups, not just this one.)
* Streamlined profiles do exceed the threshold, adverse pressure gradient, responsible for triggering separation. It's why they're called 'streamlined.'
* It was Hucho that wrote about selecting 'streamlined bodies' for really low drag.
* The Audi began 'streamlined,' then strayed off course, triggering separation. It's real simple.
* By modifying the shape, bringing it closer to the 'streamlined' profile, some of the damage was corrected. Very simple.
* Had the profile remained faithful to the streamlined contour, we wouldn't be having this discussion.
* In America, your entitled to your opinion. I respect your's, however, I do not subscribe to your interpretations. I'll stick with fluid mechanics.