View Single Post
Old 12-16-2020, 12:10 PM   #9 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
survived the war

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianEdgar View Post
There you go again...

Again, I am not sure if you are being deliberately misleading - or that's your genuine belief.

You said: Kamm's lowest drag car didn't survive the war.

Let me put that a different way: The car that did in fact survive the war proved to have a very much higher drag coefficient than the pre-war tests showed.

To assume, therefore, that the other pre-war data is correct is a bit simplistic.

I am not sure why you pursue this fable that all significant car aero happened in the 1920s and 1930s.

I can draw similar parallels with car suspension eg the work of Messrs Lanchester, Olley and Milliken. They are incredibly significant people, and what they discovered we use every day - but they don't dictate the suspension rates I chose on my Insight. They certainly help inform those decisions, though.

And it's exactly the same with car aero.

Great to know about what the heroes of the 1920s and 1930s discovered, but only within the context of today's knowledge.
1) Excepting the Everling car, the FKFS contructed six ( 6 ) K-form cars.
2) Kamm's personal car was Cd 0.23. A diesel-powered, 4-door, drop-nose, fully-skirted, long rear overhang, with overdrive transmission, and Kamm's patented low-drag engine-bay cooling system.
3) The Landenburg Castle car tested by VW is nothing like it. And as you know, that car had a mutilated belly pan, so it's Cd was corrupted.
3) the only photograph of this car is in HOT ROD Magazine, from 1963. Some of the HOT ROD staff met Kamm in Florida, when Dr. Kamm was consulting on what became the Briggs Cunningham, C4-K Le Mans coupe, which swept the field o the first lap in 1953. ( probably inspiration for Pete Brock's Shelby Daytona Coupe, as Brock studied all the European aerodynamics research leading up to WW-II, when at General Motors ).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'll address early Cds elsewhere, as I believe we already have a dedicated thread for that.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As to 'fables,' all I'm saying is that, the 1920s and 1930s Cds of 'basic' bodies have been verified in modern laboratories, with 'identical' results in some cases. You have used some of them, perhaps unwittingly, in your anti-template thread.