View Single Post
Old 09-27-2008, 03:57 PM   #14 (permalink)
SuperTrooper
Master EcoModder

Wicked Wanda - '99 VW Beetle GLS
90 day: 29.59 mpg (US)

Green Monster - '99 Ford Explorer Sport
90 day: 16.73 mpg (US)

Dad's Taxi - '99 Honda Odyssey EX
90 day: 24.23 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula413 View Post
I'm going with the latter. V6 powered Camrys and Accords can do 0-60 in about 6 seconds flat. That puts a regular family car within spitting distance of my Firebird. Why would such a car need that much power? Are people really demanding muscle car-like acceleration from their grocery getters?
The people who buy the V6 sedans do want more performance. The majority of Accords and Camrys out there are 4 cyls, but if I'm an automaker and some folks are telling me they want more power I'll give it to them. And I'll charge them for the priviledge. That's the name of the game - to make money. Since gas has been relatively cheap since the late '80s there has been an ongoing horsepower war at all levels of engine development. My '83 Mustang GT's V8 made 175 HP. The V6 in my '99 Honda minivan makes 205 HP, and gets better mileage doing it. Automakers have poured billions into HP development, and now are shifting to better fuel economy. More than ever they are looking outside of the ICE box because they have to in order to remain viable in the next few years. It's all just good business.