View Single Post
Old 12-17-2020, 11:09 PM   #32 (permalink)
wjohn
EcoModding Lurker

Hatchback - '90 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 44.98 mpg (US)

GTS - '90 Dodge Dakota 4WD Base
90 day: 16.56 mpg (US)

Topless Brick - '66 MG MGB Roadster
90 day: 27.19 mpg (US)

Sedan - '91 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 42.19 mpg (US)
Hey, it could be worse - you could have a dually. I have an '03 Dodge Ram 3500. It's got the Cummins and 6-speed manual [Edit - does at least have 3.55 gears], but otherwise it's about as bad as you can get for fuel economy - 4x4 without locking hubs or a disconnect, quad cab, dually, with a flatbed on the back. It does have stock size all-terrain tires. The truck weighs right around 8000 pounds and it's an aero nightmare. Not exactly apples to apples with your truck, but the best I've gotten was 22 MPG driving mostly 55-65 highway/interstate, and the worst I've ever gotten was 15.7 MPG pulling a 2000 lb. car on a U-haul trailer at 60 MPH. Actually I did get 14-ish once (I'd have to pull out the log book) but that was because my accelerator pedal position sensor was going out and the truck was either getting fuel all at once, or not.

I bought it to be a truck, though. I can't haul 3000 pounds of stuff in the back of the Civic, or tow a 17' disk harrow around with it.

I think the thing that surprised me the most is how much my fuel economy shoots up in town driving. I anticipate stops and coast a lot, and aerodynamics aren't much of a factor at 30 MPH. The speed limit on most highways out here is 65 MPH so I try to stick to that and not hold up other drivers by doing 55 unless they have plenty of chance to pass.

I am curious to know what it would get with highway tires but I need the traction often enough that I won't be trying that expensive experiment.

Good luck with your truck. I would've had no issue going with a 7.3 if I had found a nice enough one when I was in the market for a 3/4-1 ton.
The Following User Says Thank You to wjohn For This Useful Post:
Isaac Zachary (12-18-2020)