View Single Post
Old 12-18-2020, 01:29 PM   #176 (permalink)
Ironside
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironside View Post
I've recently acquired a Lifan 110 engine which I'm fitting into an off road bike. Now here's the thing I'm not happy about, this engine's ignition timing is set to around 27 deg btdc and is non adjustable. It's the only engine I've worked on that does not have any kind of advance/retard, either mechanical or electronic.
The pitbike boards are full of advice about how to make your bike faster, but no-one seems concerned with fuel economy.

There is a rotor/CDI kit available from OOracing for 85 pounds that will resolve this issue, I'm wondering whether anyone has any experience with these engines and whether you think it's a worthwhile mod.

Pete.
An update on the above, I got an 'easystart' CDI from OOracing for a very reasonable £18, it retards the timing to 10deg BTDC for starting, advances to 20deg at tickover and goes to full advance above 3000 rpm.

The result is no kickback when starting, a more stable tickover and a more tractable power delivery at low revs, does exactly what it says. Two problems, it's bigger than the common variety so has to be sited elsewhere, the other problem was that it failed after only 9hrs of use. Took a while to diagnose as it starts misfiring after a few minutes use.

Because of this I'm reluctant to buy another, I'm having difficulty locating a 5 pin CDI with a built in advance/retard. Can anyone point me in the right direction?