View Single Post
Old 12-21-2020, 05:10 AM   #94 (permalink)
Isaac Zachary
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
You only don't have to change it if you drive less than 40 miles per day, it's sunny just about every single day, never use the heat and AC, ect.

How do they know it will get twice the e-mpg? Did they build one and test it?
According to How Stuff Works the initial prototype got 230mpg, and I do believe that was fuel based, not e-mpg. So e-mpg should be better than that, like in the realm of two to three times better. Of course who knows what kind of mileage the finished product will get (or if there'll really ever be a finished product). But that would be the whole point of buying a vehicle like this. If it doesn't get substantially better mileage that would be like the Prius actually getting only 20mpg, or a if Ferraris started to be sold with 100hp engines with a 75mph governer. Why buy one?

If I recall correctly L1 charging in my Nissan Leaf put on about 5 miles of charge every hour. If this could do about 3 times better mileage per kWh then you could charge at about 15 miles each hour off of a standard 120V outlet. Thats about what the 3.3kW charging Leafs charge at on level 2 charging. Again, that's a big "if".