View Single Post
Old 09-27-2008, 05:50 PM   #16 (permalink)
whokilledthejams
Boxhead

Boxy Brown - '04 Scion xB
90 day: 35.48 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to whokilledthejams
The base-model (non-turbo) Subaru Impreza I had prior to the box would do 0-60 in ~8 seconds. My girlfriend's Intrepid will do that in 9 or so. That's way faster than anyone actually drives in normal traffic. The xB can manage that feat in about 10 seconds, and when I really stomp on the loud pedal, it's more than fast enough for any situation outside of a drag strip.

Most people, at least where I live, could drive an old Mercedes 240D (0-60 in 22 seconds on a good day), and not accelerate any slower than they normally do. You know it's a bad situation when I'm hypermiling an xB, and complaining about other people driving too slow. Really, very few people I encounter on my normal commute accelerate any faster than I do. I don't understand why an 8-second car is considered "slow." It's absurd.

My brother, who drives a 300hp F150, and previously had a 160hp Scion tC, has driven and ridden in my xB, and realizes that it's as fast as it needs to be. It just takes a bit more effort than a more powerful car, in some situations.

Most of the time, my usual driving habits are in no way disruptive to traffic, and here I am getting relatively good fuel economy.