View Single Post
Old 12-24-2020, 04:58 PM   #57 (permalink)
cRiPpLe_rOoStEr
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,628 Times in 1,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjohn View Post
I too agree that having an automatic in a diesel is pretty awful. I haven't driven a newer truck with one, so I assume they've significantly improved, but then again you don't get a choice anymore. No more manuals
The newest automatic Diesel I drove was a '06 Toyota Hilux with the 1KD-FTV turbodiesel and a 4-speed transmission which my grandpa used to own, and even though I had been more used to manuals I never actually objected to automatics. The first time I drove an automatic was in 2004, a Pontiac Trans Sport with the 4-speed transmission and the 3.8 V6 with port injection. Last time I drove a non-CVT automatic was in a Jeep Renegade in 2015 already fitted with a 6-speed transmission.

Even though I am not unfavorable to automatics, which actually fare better than manuals under specific circumstances, another thing that has recently got my attention is the increasing acceptance of single-clutch automated-manual transmissions for commercial trucks and urban transit buses in my country.