View Single Post
Old 12-24-2020, 05:59 PM   #58 (permalink)
ps2fixer
Master EcoModder

92 Camry - '92 Toyota Camry LE
Team Toyota
90 day: 26.81 mpg (US)

97 Corolla - '97 Toyota Corolla DX
Team Toyota
90 day: 30.1 mpg (US)

Red F250 - '95 Ford F250 XLT
90 day: 20.34 mpg (US)

Matrix - '04 Toyota Matrix XR
90 day: 31.86 mpg (US)

White Prius - '06 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 48.54 mpg (US)
Update on the parts trucks. The 2001 truck that I bought non-running had a fair few issues. The PCM is bad for telling the glow plug relay to activate (it ground through it), over ride is to short the relay out manually, or run a wire into the cab with a button to manually ground the relay. Not a big deal and no replacement parts required to test things out.

The fuel filter was pretty dirty, under the filter where the heating element is was nasty, it plugged up my dad's vacuum suction thing a few times to extract it out. Fuel pump was only pumping air and tank read just over 1/4 tank, so figured maybe the screen was removed or the plastic broke apart so threw in another 3-4 gal of diesel and it started pumping fluid. Filled fuel filter housing half with diesel, half with ATF, cycled the key to work the air out, manually hit the glow plugs, and after a fair amount of cranking it came to life.

Took it for a quick spin in the woods and it seems to shift quite well, smooth and seems to pick a lot better rpm's for the shift points vs the older trucks. Overdrive light is flashing when not moving, but while moving it goes off and shifts fine. The flashing light means there's a transmission code, but most cheap scanners can't read it, so there's *something* still wrong with the transmission circuits.

The two other trucks I have both have new OEM style starters, I bought the "high torque" denso style starter since a ton of videos claim it's better and cranks faster and requires less battery power to go. I've confirmed, it is the fastest cranking starter out of the 3 trucks I have by a fair bit. Once the engine is warm, holy crap does it crank fast. Here's the link if anyone needs a starter for their 7.3L, it fit the 2001 truck just fine, about 1/4in clearance on the cross member that people mention they have to grind down. Trick for installing is keep the nose cone low in the hole, all about the right angles and such.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...9&toolid=10001
-Affiliated Link: I do make a small amount if someone buys the item through this link, if this isn't allowed, let me know.

Anyway, kind of nice getting 1 good and 2 parts trucks, and both parts trucks could technically be made road legal again even though they are pretty rough body wise. The $900 red parts truck is so rigged up it's crazy someone was actively driving it as a daily driver, the second battery was barely hooked up, the battery cables on that side are trashed, similar to the 2001 truck's battery cables.

I've driven plenty of gas automatics, they aren't bad, but the f250 auto I'm not a fan of. I drove my dad's truck when I was under a driving permit yet, I don't remember how it shifted though, he had a programmer on it though so it changed the shift points from factory.

I agree, personally, 3.73 is the lowest I'd want on a diesel, the 3.55 seems fine but I haven't put a load on my truck yet, being a stick I can control everything so shouldn't be a big deal, run in 4th gear if needed.

Just got around $265 of more parts ordered for the good truck, u joints, ball joins (upper and lower), fuel filters for all the trucks, and the pickup tube for the 2001 truck to fix that issue.

Anyway, just got word my dad's pole barn door blew in from the wind we had lately, so better get over there and help get it back on the track.