View Single Post
Old 12-25-2020, 04:16 AM   #174 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
What would you do with $2,000?

I didn't realize this thread was active for 6 months. In that time Meet Kevin probably released 200 stimulus videos and made millions, so the equivalent of an episode or two of "Seinfeld?"

I am not saying that a $2,000 check will happen--or won't. I am not sharing my conclusions regarding who is responsible for what.

I am just curious what has changed for everyone in the past 10 months and what would you do with $2,000, if, for whatever reason, you had that much to spare?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
Between my two jobs I work about thirty hours a week, but I should have a few more with the school next year.
This did not age well!

I was supposed to have more hours and a small raise, but I was supposed to see students that coughed, sneezed, and laughed in my face in-person during a global pandemic.

Then my hours were cut in half--at most $200 a week.

I don't know how the public school job worked out, but let's say they would have given me one step. With one year of experience (in a school), I would earn $29,995.34 this school year, so let's say $14,997.67 for a semester Even when I was only seeing 2-3 client a week I am sure there would have been some conflict, but let's say that I manage to serve two masters.

I made $26,125.85 with home health and $5,505.85 the first semester at the charter school. If I worked at the public school in the fall my pay would have been $41,123.52 instead of $26,125.85--57% more!

However, it would have mostly been in-person, and I was sick 3 times despite minimizing contact with others and obsessing over staying home, wearing a mask when I need to go out, and washing my hands when I get home. I would have lost days of work each time that I got the sniffles or was exposed to someone who did, until I could get test results.

The agency paid me $840 twice in May. Until mid-September I averaged $408.33 a paycheck. Since then I have averaged $971.25, but from January to April I averaged $1,090, plus I had the school job!

So, my caseload is slowly improving, but I am still a couple of hours short of where I was when TPgate started, and $800 short of my total income the first four months!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
Mine went straight from savings and will stay there for another couple of weeks until I pay off my credit card--unless I get some harebrained scheme first.

Does anyone have a good harebrained scheme?
I paid off my credit card, but the stimulus check is still sitting in my Navy Federal account earning a whopping 0.25% interest!

In the past 7.5 months I have saved an additional $5,800, so I really could buy a $6,000 - 7,000 car, I just don't feel compelled to.

At Bank of America, I have $3,902.02 in checking, the minimum $500 in savings, and owe $1,828.43 on my credit card, but I need to sit down with Mom and figure out what I bought for her and my brother over the last month. Then I will pay off my credit card.

So, I have $9,000 more cash-on-hand. I haven't actively looked for houses, but I have looked at everything that Zillow and my realtor have sent me, but none of them looked worth evaluating, and I wouldn’t necessarily have 5% down.

In 7.5 months I still haven’t figured out what to do with savings that aren’t enough for the down payment for a house.

What about you guys? What would you do with $2,000?