View Single Post
Old 01-22-2008, 08:31 AM   #1 (permalink)
stevewww
EcoModding Lurker

Newb - better MPGs out of a Dodge Neon?

Hello all. I'm new to the site, and new to the concept of eco-modding. I have a pretty long commute, and the cost of gas was really hurting my wallet. I recently downsized by trading my Jeep Grand Cherokee for a Dodge Neon in hopes of attaining better MPGs and saving myself some money. So far I have noticed I'm getting much better gas mileage with the neon as opposed to with the Jeep. The Jeep was getting on average 18 MPGs on the highway, while the Neon is getting almost 40 MPGs! Granted, I've also changed my driving habits a bit- I try to never go over 60 MPH on the highway, so I'm sure this helps some also.

Anyway, the car is a 95 Dodge Neon, with a SOHC and manual transmission. I opted for this particular model because all the research I did showed that the SOHC and stick shift combo got the best gas mileage. Also because Neons are much cheaper and easier to work on than Hondas and Toyotas.

So I'm now looking for ways to increase my MPGs even more. I want to get into the mid 40s at least.

The car is completely stock, 108K miles. Well maintained. I changed the oil and air filter. The plugs and plug wires appear to be new. There is however a hole in the muffler, so I don't know if thats hurting me or not.

So what are some mods or upgrades, if any, that I could do to maybe increase my MPGs even more?

Thanks!