View Single Post
Old 09-28-2008, 02:13 AM   #25 (permalink)
Sayyad
Aero Addict

TDI Jetta - '99 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
The Pam is a good idea. Ice only freezes to the body panels because these panels are below zero. Venting engine air or even some exhaust out the wheel wells would melt any deposits and keep our wheel well skirts clean and flexible. Failing that, maybe some sort of brush that is cut close to the tire to remove slush and snow.
Maybe enclosing the entire wheel well would trap enough heat on it's own. Very little air would be flowing across the brakes or through the wheel wells themselves. I'll bet the air temperature in an enclosed wheel well would stay around or above zero on it's own.
Tasdrouille; those are some amazing side skirts. Anybody who hasn't had a peek at his gallery please do so, it's worth a look. Flat hubcaps, blocked grill openings, low side skirts and air dam; I'm inspired. All you need now is a flat belly pan across the lower edges of the side skirts and air dam and you'll have a super smooth car.
I don't think they make a skid plate for my Jetta, but they're a good idea and they work better than the existing plastic cover. The last time I changed the oil I removed the large cover and the small oil pan cover. It is quite obvious that the previous owner went "off-roading" at some point because the oil pan has some big dents in it. If he had used a skid plate the oil pan would have been fine. Then again I guess it saves me a few hundred milliliters of oil each time I change it...
Evans NPG+ waterless coolant is probably a good idea if you're going to raise the engine temperature. This coolant is, if they're to be believed, far superior and it doesn't boil at any normally occurring temperature. It has no water so it's not corrosive either. Then I'd make sure everything is tuned up properly.