View Single Post
Old 12-28-2020, 11:11 AM   #68 (permalink)
ps2fixer
Master EcoModder

92 Camry - '92 Toyota Camry LE
Team Toyota
90 day: 26.81 mpg (US)

97 Corolla - '97 Toyota Corolla DX
Team Toyota
90 day: 30.1 mpg (US)

Red F250 - '95 Ford F250 XLT
90 day: 20.34 mpg (US)

Matrix - '04 Toyota Matrix XR
90 day: 31.86 mpg (US)

White Prius - '06 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 48.54 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotrsko View Post
Fuels heaters get noticeably warm to the touch after one key cycle and no start. The tps get dirty or worn out at one location on the sweep. Easy replacement but not cheap, also not worth rebuilding. There's a cute little vacuum pump system behind the pass battery that is used mostly for running the A/C control system and not much else. It does have a reservoir but unless the system won't switch from defrosting windows to floor heat, believe it to work unless the front axles wont switch from 2wd to 4. There's a seal that goes bad in the hubs that is a joy to replace. Everything else is electric or hydraulic (power steering pump) There's a valve supposedly in the system for rapid warm up which can be used as a jake brake, but I haven't found it, must be on the crowded passenger side. 60 degree fuel and oil means you dont need glowplugs. And until it gets to zero, fuel return usually keeps the fuel from gelling while driving, but doesn't stop water freezing in the pump
Is that in context to the 2001 or 1995? The 95 has a vacuum pump on the driver's side which runs brakes and ac controls. The 2001 truck's 4x4 button sounds to be electric but I didn't physically look for the motor.

For the "exhaust brake" as people have been calling it, it's on the bottom side of the turbo, just on the exhaust side going to the engine. It has a servo style motor that activates it while cold and has a back pressure sensor to open/close the valve within reason. My one truck has a major boost leak, so it closes it off completely and bogs the engine a fair bit. I read putting it on a switch (direct powering it) works well for an exhaust brake/jake brake, but haven't seen any videos of people using it. I don't have big hills here, but a backup way of slowing down is always a plus.