View Single Post
Old 01-01-2021, 03:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Megdriver024
EcoModding Lurker

Mods on my little Punto T-Jet

I did not write on here for a long time, I changed a few cars and thought I could write about the mods I did to my latest, a little Fiat.

It is a Fiat Grande Punto 1.4 T-jet 2009.
I bought the car with LPG install already done. Since it's a clean fuel and half the price of gasoline it makes the car pretty Eco friendly..
The 120 HP it has factory is nice but not enough given the fact that it's called a Sporting.. So came the need for modding
The 17 inch Abarth wheels with wide low profile tires it came with were very nice but made the ride comfort bone shaking. So I changed to 16 inch with a narrower tire size. This gave me around 0,5 litre/100km better fuel economy and less harshness on potholes.
I wanted more power since the car wasn't fast enough given the still sporty looks, so I got it remapped. Now it had good torque like a diesel but was choked in the higher rpm range. Even better the city fuel usage became less dropped from 9,6l/100km to 9,1l. Highway economy stayed around the same 7,5l/km.
Then I realized that my 5th gear was too short..(sadly no 6 speed box in the sporting). So I searched around an find out the Diesel has the same box with longer gears. I managed to find a set and changed them. This dropped the highway economy to 6,9l/100km.
The stock turbo is really small even by European standards so I changed it to the Abarth Grande Punto's witch has a bit bigger compressor. The turbine housing was cracked so i bought a Chinese housing but I did not like the rough surfaces so did some work to it. This costed some low end torque but actually caused better city economy because boost onset is later in the rpm range.
Another mod I done is not economy related. I changed how the electric power steering reacts. It was over doing the helping when I turned the wheel suddenly but a small amount. So i have put a small circuit inline with the sensors under the wheel. Now I can modulate it with a pot.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Punto.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	29901   Click image for larger version

Name:	gears.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	29902   Click image for larger version

Name:	gears2.jpg
Views:	25