Thread: Next Vehicle?
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2021, 11:52 PM   #20 (permalink)
Isaac Zachary
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Of course everyone's experience will be different, but I once tired to consolidate down to one car. But then my insurance actually went up. It's cheaper (for me) to insure another car than the multicar discount. So the overall cost to insure two cars is cheaper as a result. So I went and got a second car again...

Things to thing about:
  1. Are you actually planning on towing 6,000lbs soon? If not, my suggestion is to wait. What if you buy a bigger vehicle and end up not getting the 6,000lb wake thing-a-ma-jig? Or what if I do by a bigger vehicle now and by the time you get that 6,000lb thing-a-mic-bob now you have better options (e.g. used Tesla Truck maybe).
  2. How often do you tow? Sometimes we go to such great lengths to get that all-in-one vehicle that we forget that some of that we hardly every use all the vehicle's multi-capableness. For an example, if this is something you do once a year, it may actually be cheaper to just rent a truck that one day of the year.
  3. Now add to the aforementioned question what do you use your other vehicles for? If you hardly commute, then you could go with just one big do-it-all vehicle (unless the other vehicle makes your insurance cheaper like in my case). But what if you mostly commute and don't hardly tow. Well maybe just one vehicle would do that's great on fuel mileage, but can barely tow. You'd have to take it real easy (of course there may be legal and safety reasons not to), but if it's just a couple times a year it's kind of overkill to get another dedicated vehicle just for that.