View Single Post
Old 01-04-2021, 05:07 AM   #70 (permalink)
Stubby79
Master EcoModder

Firefly EV - '98 Pontiac Firefly EV
90 day: 107.65 mpg (US)

Little Boy Blue - '05 Toyota Echo
90 day: 33.35 mpg (US)

BlueZ - '19 Nissan 370Z Sport
90 day: 17.19 mpg (US)
Here's my rough guideline:

@ $500:
Super econo car needing minor things (Geo Metro); econo car needing more significant, but not deal-breaking work (Driveable, or close); Something with decent resale value but needing major repair (that I consider worth the bother).

@ $1000:
Take the above mentioned vehicles and increase/decrease by one step. (Ie an econo car that needs minor things, something with decent resale value with non-deal breaking work)

@ $1500: Should be driveable, as-is, whatever it is, needing minor things and/or tlc; something with quite a lot of resale value (newer, low-milage, etc) with no deal breaking work; something on my list of must-have cars that runs and drives, if nothing more(what I was willing to pay for an insight).

@ $2000: Something that will last a long time and needs no more than TLC. (My echo, for example)

Above that, I expect to get more car for the price, and not needing more than TLC or one reasonable repair.

(OTOH, my wife's mid-sized, fully-loaded SUV was $5000, less trade-in, was under 10 years old and had/has low mileage. Most I've paid for a vehicle, save for buying a brand-new car. Has needed a wheel bearing and the timing belt was due/done, still going strong 6 years later. Can't complain.)