View Single Post
Old 01-05-2021, 09:47 PM   #1042 (permalink)
Planecrazy
EcoModding Lurker

I've had a small flatbed trailer (that I keep 45 minutes away at my best friend's place) for several decades, and it's been great for most of the hauling needs that have faced me over the years.

Having said that, there are two reasons why I continue to consider getting a small to midsized pickup.

1. The convenience of having the utility "right now" versus having to spend time picking up and then dropping off the trailer when I need it.

2. The yearly licensing cost of the trailer has jumped significantly here in IL and my use of the trailer has decreased because it's a hassle to go get it.

I think that some people choose to go the pickup route because of the convenience of eliminating the storage headaches when you can't keep it on your own property (my issue). That said, I do acknowledge that I'm not sure I'd use a pickup often enough to justify the switch from the midsized SUV (Toyota Highlander Hybrid) that I currently drive. I actually really liked the idea of the GMC Envoy XUV with the retractable roof that was available fifteen or so years ago, but the fuel economy on that vehicle was not great so I've never tried to find one since...

2006 Toyota Highlander Limited Hybrid
2010 Mercury Milan Hybrid
2010 Audi A4 AWD