View Single Post
Old 01-06-2021, 12:11 PM   #1046 (permalink)
Planecrazy
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I don't know the IL law, but in Oregon small trailers have no licensing requirements.

Mine folds up to occupy a 2x6 foot space in my garage and takes about 2 minutes to fully attach to the car, depending on if I left the ball in the hitch or not.

The downside is it took an eternity to construct, and most people would need a hand folding it.
In IL, trailers need to be both registered and licensed, and the yearly fee shot up dramatically in the last year. It now costs almost as much, per year, for registration as I spent on the trailer to buy it! For an occasional use product, it has become excessive. On top of that, my local village has ordinances that now prohibit storing the trailer next to the house in a way that would be convenient. That's why we keep it at my friend's place, about an hour away.

If I need a "spur of the moment" hauling requirement, the trailer is often too much trouble to go get, and opportunities are sometimes lost. That is the reason why I'm entertaining the idea of replacing my midsized SUV with a four door pickup, like an Explorer Sport Trac or similar.

2006 Toyota Highlander Limited Hybrid
2010 Mercury Milan Hybrid
2010 Audi A4 AWD
The Following User Says Thank You to Planecrazy For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (01-06-2021)