View Single Post
Old 01-06-2021, 04:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,222 Times in 4,649 Posts
GM full-size

Quote:
Originally Posted by racprops View Post
So been having a big discussion on a couple of Van facebook sites about Big Chevy vans and their aerodynamics.

So I am wondering have anyone done any looks at these vans??

I am talking about G20/30 vans like my 93 and a 2017 Express van.

I am also interested in the Stock and with the great ground effects and raised roof.

Funny thing about my 93 Custom is that the ground effects seem to work, as my Van is NO LONGER pushed around by big rigs, either passing them or being passed by them. A stock body van is buffeted badly but big rigs, nearly pushed off the road…these custom vans (at least mine) are not.

So I wonder how bad these vans are aerodynamically??

And what (IF any) can be done to make a real world improvement.

Rich

jpg.gif IMG_7998.jpg (58.8 KB)

jpg.gif Custom Van.jpg (84.7 KB)
I didn't see any data online.
* The Ford van of that time was Cd 0.38. I'd have to see about the frontal area. Guessing around 38-square-feet.Not much you can do about the area.
* Do you drive on the highway a lot, and at relatively high speed?
* Do you plan on keeping the van for a long time?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GM may have already optimized the grille opening, thermo-clutch cooling fan, leading edge radii, bumper to body sealing, A-pillar radii, airdam. All the 'magic' edges. The mirrors are big, but out of safety, you may want to maintain them as they are. I don't know if an electric cooling fan would save you anything over and above what a clutch-fan is already providing. More efficient lighting would save a small amount of load on the alternator. Messier electric water pump, as on small-block Chevys. Full-synthetic lubes if you didn't already have that. No clue on tires with lower rolling resistance.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
* You might look at some of the belly pans members have done and the issues with exhaust system, mufflers, etc..
A look under a 2021 Van might give you some ideas.
* Wheel covers for alloy wheels is challenging.
* Reducing wheel arch to tire gaps.
* Rear wheel skirts.
* Your rocker panel extensions are good.
You have an enormous wake.
A receiver-hitch-mounted cargo carrier could support a homemade boat-tail, like, but better than what NASA did in 1980 on their Ford Econoline.
An awning company could heli-arc an aluminum spaceframe and cover it with standard awning fabric to create a very light and strong tail.
Or on a swing-away mount, like JEEP Wranglers use for their spare tires, would give easy access to the rear doors of the van.
Tails by themselves can offer 4-mpg.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BamZipPow's one-wheel boat-tail trailer is another option. It allows even more boat-tailing, and you get extra storage capacity to boot!
You've got options.

Last edited by aerohead; 01-06-2021 at 04:06 PM.. Reason: typo