View Single Post
Old 01-06-2021, 11:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Free VIN scanner apps

I was going through my tabs, still had the crazy girl's coupe ad open, and saw that it sold. I just found an AutoCheck report for it, so I tried to pull it back up just to see if the sale was already logged, and what the reported mileage was.

I can't find it!

Just like last week, all that I found for free were basic information and ads for paid reports.

It is awesome when you click a link for a free report and all that you get is a solicitation.

Did you know that CarFax's unlimited subscription is only good for 6 reports monthly?

I am pretty sure that "Unlimited" means at least seven!

I cannot find anything useful, except for a reference to a VIN barcode scanner app.

Wouldn't you rather wave your phone at the general direction of a VIN sticker than write down 15 characters?

I took a picture of the girl's VIN on my phone and then typed the code into VehicleHistory last week.

ISeeCars has over 500,000 downloads and is rated 4.4/5. It read the barcode off my laptop before I even thought that it was in focus. It read correctly and gave me hilarious suggestions like it having 166,874 miles (the owner claimed 150k, but the last registration was 208,000 2 years ago), and had an estimated market value of $3,632.

I love Hondas, but I wouldn't think that a mint Accord with 167,000 miles would be worth that much.

I can see Accords of that generation for sale nationwide through their site, but nothing within 200 miles.

Craigslist and Facebook have Accords of that generation within 200 miles.

It claims that the average 1999 Honda Accord was driven 7,580 miles per year.

Does anyone believe that?

It links to AutoCheck, says that the best months to buy a car like this are November and December and the worst are April and May, with June being almost as bad.

It links to Honda's site for owner's manuals.

So, it has some useful information. I would keep it just to save time grabbing VINs.

VINDecoded.com also has over 500,000 downloads and is rated 4.4. The camera is a little slower, but fine. It estimated 297,554 miles and a market value of $2,927, which are both high.

It links to CarFax and VinAudit.

Orto Vehicle History has over 100k downloads and is rated 4.3. I couldn't get the scanner to work, but I will try again on my car tomorrow. I copied and pasted it from another app and this one says that it has 201,016 miles, based on 1 car sold in the last 90 days, in average condition is worth $2,998.

It links to a $10 report.

CarCheck, 100k downloads and rated 4.2. It doesn't have a scanner. I pasted the VIN, it asked for an e-mail address, it had me approve a long agreement, and then tried to bill me $17.

Nope!

One star!

The last one that I am trying [for now]:

Vin Decoder, 4.2 stars, and over 50k downloads. It is as fast as ISeeCars, but all that it did was capture and interpret the code. I don't know that the others offered useful information, except for links to CarFax, etc.

If I am going to keep one of these so far, it would be this. Small, light, and quick!

Are there any functions that you would like in a VIN scanner? Do you have a favorite VIN search site?

I want to see one that links to AutoTempest or at least Facebook and Craigslist so that you can really compare the car in front of you with others for sale.

How about eBay Motors? That gives you the sold prices!

Last edited by Xist; 01-06-2021 at 11:17 PM..