View Single Post
Old 01-08-2021, 12:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
Isaac Zachary
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubby79 View Post
Jetta or Passat TDI wagon, Golf TDI...
Prius, if the back end is big enough. (Seats fold down, IIRC)
Leaf, if EV is an option.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boydwgrossii View Post
Excellent question! I was able to put four 4 x 2 bookshelves very carefully in the vibe with the seats folded down. The back and was rather roomy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boydwgrossii View Post
Preferably used. I haven't had a car less than 10 years old ever. I plan on getting a 2015 or 2016 (movin' on up!).
So, putting it all together either a Prius v or a Leaf or a regular Prius.

The VW dieselgate issue happened back in 2008 IIRC which means you won't find any that are 2015 or newer.

The Prius v seems like possibly your best option since it's quite roomy and wasn't discontinued until 2017 IIRC, although a regular Prius might suffice and the regular Prius will get better fuel mileage than the bigger Prius v.

You can find Leafs for as little as $3,000 now, albeit with a terribly degraded battery. And since you apparently live in Oklahoma and not Alaska that battery degradation is only going to get worse. So unless you only have a few miles to take your stuff around the Leaf probably wouldn't be the greatest choice.

But if you are looking at a Leaf from those years 2016 is when the 100-mile-range 30kWh battery came out on the higher tier SV and SL Leafs whereas the lower tier S Leafs got the same 84-mile-range 24kWh battery. (In 2015 all trims had the 24kWh battery). But from what I've heard the bigger batteries actually degrade faster for those years, so getting a 24kWh 2015 Leaf with any trim or a 2016 Leaf with the S trim is probably your best bet for an affordable EV, especially if you have a cooled garage to keep it in. Mind you that 2015 and 2016 are good years for the 24kWh battery. Those start out at around $5,000 as I look here on Autotrader.com.

Last edited by Isaac Zachary; 01-08-2021 at 12:14 PM..