View Single Post
Old 01-08-2021, 12:13 PM   #131 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,207 Times in 4,640 Posts
many reasons, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroMcAeroFace View Post
4) Or maybe they dismiss it due to results not being scientifically rigorous, not thought out well, not founded in science, based on flawed assumptions? Many reasons other than ignorance I can think of.

5) It is strange that you keep telling us that the template(s) (of which there are now 8) are universally applicable, but all of a sudden the windsor body is the wrong one?
6)same answer as 5)

7) do you have actual evidence for that claim? As far as I can tell, your evidence is based on a highly blocked wind tunnel, which is okay for streamlined shapes but not spirit of ecomodder. You believe it to be streamlined (streamlined means no separation) so that evidence relies on your belief.
1) Yep, Hucho's a real slacker. His PhD in mechanical engineering, running a climatic wind tunnel for a decade, spending decades around automotive aerodynamics, and working under some of the folks who literally wrote the books on aerodynamics obviously would have no credibility when recommending a pathway to low drag.
5) Would you like to offer a specific citation where I ever claimed this attribution to universality?
And have you actually looked at the Windsor body? Does it share anything even resembling a production passenger car?
7) It worked for the ITworks CRX HF. A land speed record at Bonneville. An amateur mpg record. Data from the SCTA and technical staff of CAR and DRIVER, at Bonneville and Chrysler Proving Grounds. Data reduction and results from CAR and DRIVER and General Motors Aerodynamics Laboratory.
If you'll re-visit Hucho, 2nd-Edition, chapter on wind tunnels, you'll be reacquainted with the fact that blockage ratios in excess of 30% are perfectly acceptable for zero-yaw testing. I've never made any claims for my quanta which were outside of the conditions under which they were derived.
So far, nobody's connected the dots on the blockage-ratio correction-factor Toyota Prius calibration model I used, as per Hucho's protocol.
* Spirit began at Cd 0.5016, and went to Cd 0.195 as a BEV, unibody, 'camera' truck.
* Based upon Hucho's metrics, Spirit's top speed would improve from 96-mph, to 115-mph. ( In Tucson, Arizona, I accelerated to catch, and then settle in long enough at 108-mph, to record the US GOVT license plate of a US Homeland Security, Chevy Tahoe cruising eastbound at that speed. I would have had to exceed 108- mph in order to pursue, and then catch up to the Tahoe. Think whatever you want.)
* We also need an explanation for the 957-mile range at 65-mph, for the 24-gallon tank, which I've experienced on three occasions.
* The GARMIN GPS that I use for speed, odometer, altimeter, and compass, is 'dead- on' according to the Southern California Timing Association, which is the official timing body for all FIA World Speed Records in the United States.