Thread: Coffee roasting
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2021, 10:44 AM   #4 (permalink)
Piotrsko
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,112 Times in 981 Posts
Comments: since I fried my 20 year old popper, how do you like the sweet marias version? You realize the samples are leftovers? My first was a Guatemalan dry process that was heavenly. Sadly it's gone now, but I have about 20 pounds of other samples.

Some of the beans I have throw off huge amounts of chaff, typically Guatemalan and Ethiopian. Wife banned me from roasting in the house. You either got a Sumatran or a very understanding wife.

$9 for a digital walmart barbeque instant read thermometer that actually goes to 475 degrees inserted into the center of the bean mass gives you decent control of roast. I like 415 degrees indicated +FC roast, medium at 435. I make the roast I like for about $7.00 a pound instead of that burnt expensive junk at the store overflavored with sugar and creamer for $15.

Hazelnut is an oil based extract which has to be soaked into the beans after roasting otherwise you bake it out. Store bought cooking extracts for the vanilla, hazelnut whatever (yuuch) flavor. I prefer mine bare naked.

Popcorn doesn't taste like coffee, but depending on roast could taste burnt. Not good.

Since I fried the popper, I am considering a flour shifter as shown on makerspace as the heat source is cheap replaceable. I am NOT going computer controlled since I think this is an art form.

Last edited by Piotrsko; 01-09-2021 at 10:55 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Piotrsko For This Useful Post:
Ecky (01-09-2021), freebeard (01-09-2021)