View Single Post
Old 01-10-2021, 06:51 PM   #13 (permalink)
Isaac Zachary
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
My 1996 Subaru Legacy was rear-ended on my birthday and totalled. The initial offer was $1,000 from the at-fault insurance agency. I declined it saying there were no functioning Subarus that could be purchased for $1,000. They responded that the cost to repair all the pre-existing body damage my car had would be in the thousands. I replied that the value of the vehicle to me wasn't in it's phenomenal babe-catching ability, but that it was 100% functional and reliable. The fact that there were no other available vehicles on the market that were as cosmetically bad, but functionally perfect wasn't my fault.

It took a couple months, but they cut a check for $2,500. At some point the adjuster just needs to bring their open case to a close, so it becomes a game of who wants it closed more. I have lots of other vehicles, so I don't care how long the process is drawn out.

You aren't legally obligated to accept their offer of compensation, and they aren't legally obligated to accept your counter. If an agreement can't be reached, the law allows for litigation; something which they are likely motivated to avoid.

Before it was totalled, if you can believe it.
Thanks! That's what I wanted to know.

I'm not saying if someone hits my car tomorrow I want a Lamborghini as compensation. I just want to be able to go get something similar in similar conditions.