View Single Post
Old 01-12-2021, 10:57 AM   #74 (permalink)
ps2fixer
Master EcoModder

92 Camry - '92 Toyota Camry LE
Team Toyota
90 day: 26.81 mpg (US)

97 Corolla - '97 Toyota Corolla DX
Team Toyota
90 day: 30.1 mpg (US)

Red F250 - '95 Ford F250 XLT
90 day: 20.34 mpg (US)

Matrix - '04 Toyota Matrix XR
90 day: 31.86 mpg (US)

White Prius - '06 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 48.54 mpg (US)
Yea I might do the resistor short mod, it's not an average thing, it just lowers the reading, the actual temp sensor is a resistor as well that changes with temp.

Yea the fuel tank should be interesting, my uncle had a gas truck that was really wacky, If I remember right it went from full to empty in 1/2 tank, then empty back to full for when it was actually empty. Can't recall if his was dual tank or not, but it was a 97. If I remember right, some of his parts were 98 while other parts were 97 (and older), I guess it would be a 97.5 truck if I'm remembering things right.

Also fun to own a vehicle that doesn't have a trip odometer, haven't had to write down the last 3-4 numbers and calc how far I've gone since fill up in a long time. If I setup some sort of gauge/screen, I'll probably add a trip to that. I'm sure I should be able to see the VSS via OBD. It's a really odd system, I guess the ODB on my truck is like a ODB 1.5, it has some ODB2 characteristics like the same connector, pin out (atleast power), but communication standard isn't OBD2 until the 98 or 99 trucks. For cars the mandate was 96 if I remember right.

I've gotten used to the shift pattern on the truck pretty quick, start off in 2nd (first is like a creeper gear), 2nd into 3rd requires a bit more revs since it's a fairly big jump, then the rest of the gears can be short shifted and feel like pretty even jumps. Since I'm not getting boost till higher rpm, I've been shifting about 2000-2100 for 2nd into 3rd, and about 1900ish for the rest of the gears. I suspect I can drop 100-200 rpm once the boost leak is fixed without lugging the engine. Gas engines are pretty easy to tell when they are lugging, but for a diesel, I haven't really had the experience. It seems like it just runs a bit more ruff when I shift too early.

I didn't mention it before, but I'm also a programmer, so if I can't find software to do what I want for the MPG gauge stuff, I might make my own program if I can find any of the specs for the Ford ODB communication protocol. I did find an open source project years back for OBD2 standard vehicles. Back then I was thinking about data logging trips for different routes, loads, monitor hills (gps) etc then see what the "ideal" driving pattern would be for the given situations based on several trips on my exact vehicle. Never got that far though.