View Single Post
Old 01-12-2021, 03:15 PM   #14 (permalink)
Miller88
Master EcoModder

XJ Cherokee - '00 Jeep Cherokee Sport
90 day: 12.96 mpg (US)

FoFO - '11 Ford Focus SE
90 day: 36.78 mpg (US)
I'm not sure if I'd 100% agree with it not being a high revving engine. This seems to love running up to the limiter. Even my old Focus with the Duratec I4 didn't seem to like much past 4500. But this enjoys it.

The FB engine definitely has a larger stroke, less bore and externally plumbed heads so they don't have the head gasket issues.

They did do a good job of putting underbody aero on it so not sure if that would get us too far. When I say it doesn't like lower RPM, it seems to "buck" under moderate acceleration under 1500 as well. The other two I test drove did the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoD~ View Post
I had a 03 Forester X with the 4-speed auto and 2.5L NA engine (4EAT + EJ25) and my best efforts of basic aerowork, tire pressure, and driving speed of 50mph got me 33mpg. Otherwise, mid-high 20's was the best I could do.

I now have a 07 Forester XT with the same auto, but 2.5L turbo (with a few mods) and my best tank so far has been 27MPG doing 60-80mph. I haven't really had a chance to give it further road tripping for better, so tanks are 18-23MPG otherwise.

All this is to say: Good luck! Subarus were built with many things in mind, but economy isn't one of them. (or headgasket life)

I can get low to mid 30s out of it around 55 or so. Even highway trips can net me 29MPG as long as I keep it at 65.

So I think for now I'll do a grille block for winter months at least. Maybe I'll see if I can pick up a set of more eco minded tires. A 215/65-17 set of ecopias or something would be similar diameter but a bit narrower.