View Single Post
Old 01-12-2021, 09:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
JulianEdgar
Banned

Thanked 1,605 Times in 1,136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebcbien View Post
Hello,
First post here !
I've designed an airfoil profile to help reduce the drag of rigid solar panels mounted on top of campers / vans etc.
Sorry I cannot post links as I'm new

I already shared the designs here:
sprinter-source.com/forums/index.php?threads/93869/

and also on thingiverse:
Front: thingiverse.com/thing:4708973
Rear: thingiverse.com/thing:4719660

Those profiles can be printed with 3D printer and cut and assembled at the desired length.
Those profiles are straightforward and mimic a drop/airfoil profile.

I'm posting here because there is a more difficult problem:

rigid solar panels are preferred because they are more durable and more powerful by size.
They allow heat to escape under the panel and this geatly enhance the power output, a hot panel produces way less than a colder one.

So ..
With my profiles, I "solve" the front and rear drag, but there are two more edges, "inside" the panel:

Sorry I cannot post images or links, hope you will understand.

And if there was no problem with the cooling, I think the shape of the deflector would be simple to prevent the airflow to be trapped inside the aluminium frame.

Maybe some of you master aerodynamics study softwares or have good ideas of what's better to do ?

Thanks and sorry for the non clickable links
The front profile looks fine but I doubt the flow stays attached to the rear profile - I'd guess it needs to be much longer. However, very easy to test this with short tufts.

I don't know what you mean by 'inside edges'. If you mean the lower surface is not smooth, I'd place a cover under the solar panel and then use some vents to allow cooling air to pass above the cover. If that is the case, I can suggest how you'd do this.

Last edited by JulianEdgar; 01-13-2021 at 12:42 AM.. Reason: typo
The Following User Says Thank You to JulianEdgar For This Useful Post:
sebcbien (01-19-2021)