View Single Post
Old 01-13-2021, 06:17 PM   #80 (permalink)
ps2fixer
Master EcoModder

92 Camry - '92 Toyota Camry LE
Team Toyota
90 day: 26.81 mpg (US)

97 Corolla - '97 Toyota Corolla DX
Team Toyota
90 day: 30.1 mpg (US)

Red F250 - '95 Ford F250 XLT
90 day: 20.34 mpg (US)

Matrix - '04 Toyota Matrix XR
90 day: 31.86 mpg (US)

White Prius - '06 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 48.54 mpg (US)
If the engine was running backwards, then the exhaust would have been blowing out the intake, not a good thing xD.

I drove the truck today for a package run and the rpm drops a bit more than I was thinking between gears, looks like around 1200rpm is what I've been targeting roughly for the start of each gear, below that and the engine isn't super happy (slow to increase speed).

For the sake of testing things, I got into 3rd or 4th and floored it and the "mild" take off and floored felt exactly the same to me, maybe the computer determines the max speed increase it is willing to do since it is a drive by wire type of system. For sure something I wasn't expecting. I rev'ed it out in the gear with it floored and watched for black smoke, nothing at all that I could see (smaller mirror).

Kind of funny, this truck (and my dad's) is the biggest vehicle I've driven, atleast ones that ran. I helped tow in a full sized school bus shortly after getting my license. Back roads and slow speeds, I'm sure it wasn't a fully legal thing to do but we got the job done.

The bearing wear for lugging is what I had in mind, but the exhaust gas temps makes sense too since that's the silent killer of diesels. Since my engine has the HEUI injection system, of how I understand it, the oil pump is a higher flow one than normal. Not sure if it builds up higher pressures or not though, the pressure should be what keeps the metal from contacting each other.

Diesels are a bit of a new world for me, I knew the basics of how they worked but have been learning a ton about them since I got this truck.

Oh last trip the fuel gauge needle dropped a fair bit, it did run idle for around 10 mins while I got packages situated so it would be ready to go. Bit longer than I normally would but I was pressing time and it's my only vehicle at my house atm (car at my parents yet). Before the temps drop I'll have to get the truck back to my parent's place to work on it. Hopefully the glow plugs all come out whole, I've read the tips can break off and likely requires the head to be pulled if that happens.

I'm not 100% sure if I got the front take full either, the front take needle went to the full mark, basically pumped till click off, then slow till click off again, same trick I use on my lexus to top it off. The rear tank I did the same thing and the needle for it goes slightly over full. I couldn't see diesel in the fill tube so it could have taken more. I try to leave a bit of room so it can vent correctly and such. First MPG numbers won't be too great probably from all of the issues I'm working with.