View Single Post
Old 01-14-2021, 03:28 PM   #488 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Boss is reassigning me

I didn't know what there was to discuss. Is she supposed to rewrite everything herself and never tell me what I am doing wrong or is she supposed to establish clear expectations?

A large part of speech therapy is helping people to express their wants and needs and their goals may look just like this: [Supervisor] will clearly state her wants and needs 8/10 times with minimal prompting."

My clients need to express their wants and needs, but not my supervisor?

She did criticize a great deal, though.

"Complaining about a problem without proposing a solution is called whining."--Theodore Roosevelt

Boss seemed to agree that she needed to tell me what she wanted and didn't contradict me that rewriting all of my progress reports herself, rejecting them, having me sign off on them, and then approving them again took more of her time than seemed necessary.

She complained that I don't respond to all of her e-mails and text messages.

I have looked over her recent e-mails and text messages. None of them were more important than my deadline, so I went back to work.

However, Boss totally agreed with her. He felt that he had every reason to believe that I refused to communicate because he had the same experience with me!

Wait, what?

Let me tell you what I wish had happened instead of a 20-minute conversation about the new version of our paperwork site:

“Hey Xist, your invitation probably expired. I am sending you a new one. Please knock out that now.”
“Done.”
“Great! Enjoy your day!”

I received two text messages and many e-mails about this. Each time I saw that it wasn’t due until after my notes, progress reports, and my graduate school application, so I resumed working on those.

At least the first two.

The moral of the story is: If you need a subordinate to do something easy, don’t give them a deadline weeks away, ask them to do it today, and then follow up if they don’t.