View Single Post
Old 01-14-2021, 05:23 PM   #17 (permalink)
Isaac Zachary
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller88 View Post
I would like a block heater on this car. And i did actually ask the dealer to install one but they didn't do it. Apparently the exhaust manifold on the drivers side has to come off and they didn't want to go through that on a new car.

I think this weekend I should have some time to work on a grille block. Looks like we aren't going to get a very frigid winter this year
It sounds like one of those typical 150-300W block heaters. Those help, but don't do much. That's what I got on my Avalon right now. It's a pain because I can leave it plugged in all night long, for hours on end, get in the car and drive to work with the heater off and the engine still won't have reached operating temperatures by then.

I'm not saying a circulating pump heater would be easier to install, but it might, and you get more heating power.

Again, say you have the choice between a 150W block heater and a 1,500W circulating heater. You could plug in the 150W heater for 10 hours and the 1,500W heater for one hour and use the same amount of electricity. But in the end your engine will be far warmer with the circulating block heater.