View Single Post
Old 09-29-2008, 01:32 AM   #6 (permalink)
Coyote X
nut

Metro XFi - '93 Geo Metro XFi Convertible
90 day: 62.17 mpg (US)

DR650SE - '07 Suzuki DR650SE
90 day: 55.26 mpg (US)
Send a message via MSN to Coyote X
You would be much better off sticking with an already existing car and redesigning it to your needs. You can make your own suspension arms and whatnot and just keep them the same dimensions and specifications as the oem parts if you want it totally custom.

My first car I basically scratch built was built about like you are thinking of doing. It worked out ok initially. I used custom modified parts from about 15 different cars to build it on a custom frame and everything. The problem comes in as soon as you actually start driving it and things break you have to figure out where to find a replacement part and what it came off of. If you have a huge number of custom parts then it is likely the broken part will have to be custom made again and you will be out of commission for how ever long it takes to make a new one.

If you take an entire existing car and use only parts for it on your build then 25k miles later and a year or two when it breaks down you can easily fix it instead of digging through your notes to figure out how to remake the part. You can change the length/width of a car that started out as a unibody pretty easily if you make your own frame. CV axles are very simple to lengthen or shorten. Pretty much any other measurements can be altered at will with the new chassis. Shift rods can be converted to cable operated so the transmission doesn't have to stay in the stock location either.

For a car that gets no real use and is mostly for show then making the entire car from scratch is great and you can go wild with the designs. But anything on the road a lot is going to break down and when it does you won't want to have to spend every second machining out new parts to fix it.