Thread: nuclear plants
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2008, 11:43 AM   #53 (permalink)
mavinwy
EcoModding Lurker

Neon1 - '97 Plymouth Neon highline
90 day: 27.26 mpg (US)
Just for clarification....there are not a huge number of natural resources available for generating power. There are a LIMITED number of POTENTAL resources available.

I made a few comments early in this discussion, but maybe I should offer some background. You see, my in-laws (and their kids...including my wife) re-furbished a hydro-electric power plant that had been out of production for 50 years. It currently produces 600KW (peak) and is being expanded to 1200. I have worked at the powerhouse, and studied firsthand what it takes to make alternative energy work. I have also worked on the computer systems for remote tracking and operation of the plant, so I stay up on it. Even Hydro shuts down when the river ices (has to until you get a good top layer or it will block the racks) or in flood situations where there is no drop.

I live near many windmills, even in Wyoming...sometimes the wind does not blow and they sit idle. Additionally, sometimes the wind is too high, and they need to be set to limited spin as to not overspeed the generators....they do not produce power at these times either.

The fact is, renewable resources are not controllable....hence my statement of limited potential. The weather can change rapidly, and when it does...it affects the output of these sources.

Another limiting factor is location. Everyone wants the power, but they want the plant "somewhere else". As long as it does not disturb their view, evironment, caming area, quiet, traffic, etc....sure put it there. "What? You mean that is someone elses view...well that 's ok...at least it is not in my backyard."

In our current useage for power in the US (and world for that matter) we can augment the power produced from conventional means with renewable resources. However, with our current power structure and storage systems, there is not an economically viable way to go "whole hog" on renewable resources. People can come up with the greatest ideas ever, but getting them built is a completely different story. Look at what it takes in paperwork to get 10 windmills put up in a wind farm sometime. The environmental impact research alone can take several years to get through. Then there is the cost of the actual unit, wiring, infrastructure, maintenance...and trust me....power companies want to make a profit on their power. Alternative energy is not "Free"

I am certainly for using renewable resources, and using more of them. But if we need power now (meaning in the next 10 years) then we can either suck it up and build more power plants, or expand the current ones. We can continue to build alternative energy plants as well. I suggest anyone that is passionate about it to put their "money where their mouth is" and invest in companies that will do what you would like to have done.

I know firsthand what it cost for 600KW in a pre-existing structure, and what it makes every month. The payoff is not quick, nor easy.

Jim